Monday, February 7, 2011

How to stand at a gig #1

Another week, I am ill (again) and another pleasant university visit (which merely makes me tired and wish I was at home eating raw vegetables. Nonetheless, I had a lovely time). 

So, music. As I get older (and poorer) I go to fewer gigs, which continues to sadden me as I appear to be making less and less effort to seek out new bands, relying on friends and sometimes, when I'm daring, 'similar artists' on Spotify or last.fm. (my profile is here if you're interested). So I'm going to see Les Savy Fav in a few weeks, about which I am rather excited. And so it goes (sneaky Vonnegut reference in there), the constant dilemma at gigs of what to do (my current favourite is to stand at the back and look like I would rather be anywhere else).

But when I was, you know, seventeen, eighteen, I used to love nothing more than to jump around, sing along, hug my friends and generally look like a prat. And now, no more. Am I too self-conscious? Am I scared of getting battered by some kid doing the windmill? (Don't even get me started on moshpits) A gig I went to last year (Danananakroyd) (Is that enough nanas?) had not a wall of death, but a wall of hugs, which was really lovely, and still I could not bring myself to join in. It may have had something more to do with what I can only describe as an overgrown schoolboy leaping about in front of me acting like, well an overgrown schoolboy with ADD. Still, with the large number of dancers, I feel I should have made the effort for those lovely Scottish lads. Drinking has largely lessened my inhibitions in the past, but shouldn't I be proud, and want to dance sober? Show my love and appreciation for all of the truly amazing bands I have seen, and will see?

I can only conclude, as from previous posts, that I have got boring and/or must pretend not to care about anything. 

Or maybe I'll have a few pints before.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Les Savy Fav - The Sweat Descends
Dananananakroyd - Infinity Milk

////EDIT/////
I forgot to mention couples at gigs (As pointed out to me by a mate)! In no way acceptable are: prolonged amounts of hugging, kissing or being more interested in each other than the music. No-one wants to vomit before the decent time of 3am after ten pints and a dodgy kebab.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...