Monday, January 31, 2011

I got those Monday blues.... (And something about telly)

Actually, why am I blue? I may be 'technically' unemployed but I don't have a job to get up for on Monday mornings and I can just pretend to be doing some 'proper writing' by writing in this blog. I am feeling sorry for myself because I have a cold and don't want to leave the house and there are no jobs, so those are my Monday blues (Boo stiggin' hoo, man up Coxhead! Just realised that looks like something my dad would write). 

This will be a weekly post as... Well, because. I can save up all the interesting things I have learnt that week. Or something.

Anyway, being unemployed, I watch a lot of TV, of which a lot looks very promising but turns out to be... Shite. Some of them not so shite, and some completely guilty pleasures.

Episodes
After discovering that this programme was going to be on television, I was very excited - Tamsin Greig, Stephen Mangan AND Matt LeBlanc to star. I am currently watching the third episode but cannot really fathom watching a fourth. The storyline is ok but the soundtrack is bad, the acting of most of the characters is bad, with the exception of Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig making the best of a bad situation and even worse, laboured jokes. As the internet would say, fail.

Take Me Out
 Yes, it is a guilty pleasure but this is one of the reality TV shows I will watch. I mean, sometimes I do feel sorry for the sweet girls who get rejected week after week but well, they only have theirselves to blame, as their desperation seeps out... It's just too good. And then double cringe points when the date is shown the next week and at the end the girl usually doesn't actually fancy the bloke... Brill. But terrible, all the same.

Skins
I actually already wrote quite a long review in Costa, and you probably don't want to read the uncut version, after all, it was in a book and with a pen I tend to ramble more, even if no-one can read it (including me!). So, Skins. After seeing several posts on Facebook about how shit it was, I watched it at first with trepidation. After all, the last cast were not likeable, bratty and  at times, unbelieveable too. But I loved it. I loved Franky, the main protagonist, the main bitch (WITH A BRIZZLE ACCENT!), Minnie, and the metal boy and the ginger boy. And the boy with the B-E-A-utiful mouth at the end. The music, skins-esque, which is fine, with the wonderful excpetion of the inclusion of Chopin's 'Minute Waltz' whilst they were dancing around the shopping centre whilst on a bit of cocaine. Perhaps because it was unexpected (although classical music has featured heavily in Jal's and JJ's episodes in the past) but also because I love classical musical bunged into popular culture. One post on FB that I saw said that the ending was 'an anticlimax' - I totally don't agree - Skins does not have to be the most shocking or the coolest, and the colours and cinematography in the swimming pool scene was beautiful. A lovely end to a really promising first show. I am excited about being excited about Skins for the first time in 2 years - I hope I am not alone.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...