Monday, January 24, 2011

And So I Watch You From Afar


Photo by Graham Smith


AND So I Watch You From Afar have been around since 2006, but their success has really started to take off in the last year with excellent critical acclaim from various magazines. When I was recommended this Belfast-based band a few months ago by my friend Hannah (named and shamed!) I must admit that I was a tad dubious by her description: 'They're instrumental rock but they're not boring at all!'

On the contrary, the first song I listened to on their MySpace, Set Guitars to Kill, blew me away - they're my ideal type of band: not too growly (well, not at all as they are instrumental) with cranked-up crashing guitars at the beginning and descending into some cheeky almost synthy-sounding guitar melodies. Just beautiful to listen to, resulting in several climatic parts of the song which almost have the listener in suspense. And the fact that their songs are sans lyrics merely enhances the multi-layered tunes.

I've always said lyrics were overrated anyway.

I missed out on the chance to go and see them at the end of last year in Cardiff in Clwb Ifor Bach (Or Welsh Club to most) but the next time they're in England I will definitely not be missing out on what I have heard will be a phenomanal experience.

And they're not bad looking either.


P.S. I did steal this photo off their myspace so in the unlikely event of anyone affiliated with ASIWYFA or the photographer seeing this, I hope this is ok.

UPDATE: I managed to see them at 2000 Trees Festival (review for Beat Review here) - they were amazingly intense and lovely. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...